Welcome to Icechuks Blog : Photos: Fire kills 2 UNILAG students in Lagos hotel

advert

banner

visa

advert banner

judemary

fidelity

advert banner

Friday, August 11, 2017

Photos: Fire kills 2 UNILAG students in Lagos hotel

UNILAG

Two students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) have died in a midnight fire at a Lagos hotel.
Roli Odogwu, a 200-Level Mass Communication student, and Linda Elegeonye, a 300-Level Law student, died of burns, days after they were trapped in the hotel room where they were guests.

Until their death, the two students were residents of Fagunwa Hall.

It was gathered that the duo left the campus on Monday to attend an evening event off-campus. When it dawned on them that they could not return to the campus late in the night, they reportedly lodged in the hotel to pass the night.

The late Roli’s friend, who did not want to be named, said she spoke to her mother to inform her of her decision to pass the night in the hotel.

It was gathered that the victims were asleep when the inferno started from a faulty air conditioner. The victims were trapped for several minutes before they were rescued from the room. They sustained first-degree burns. They were rushed to Gbagada General Hospital.

Last Saturday, Roli died at 4am and was buried at Atan Cemetery in Yaba. On Sunday, news broke that Linda, who had been in coma for six days, had also died.

A friend, who pleaded for anonymity, said she was informed about the incident by a policeman who picked up the late Roli’s call on Tuesday.

She said:

“The policeman told me that the owner of the phone (Roli) and her friend were involved in a fire accident and they were unconscious. I was told they had been moved to Trauma and Burns Unit of the Gbagada General Hospital. I informed other friends and we went to the hospital. When we got there, we were not allowed to see them immediately. Three hours after, we were allowed in with their parents and other family members.
 “Roli was conscious and responding to treatment, but Linda was still in a coma. The burns were severe and we hoped both could make it. We are deeply hurt by their death.”


See photos from Roli Odogwu’s candle lighting funeral below….


No comments:

Post a Comment

SEARCH BLOG

Subscribe to get Breaking News alerts